Rep. Zeldin’s “New Era of American Strength” Agenda
Patchogue, NY – Congressman Lee Zeldin (R, NY-1) released today the framework of his “New Era of American Strength” agenda for 2016 and beyond.
“It is such an honor to be leading the Fighting First in Congress.” ~ Congressman Zeldin.
Recapping a few of Representative Zeldin’s 2015 Victories for NY-1:
- Rep. Zeldin’s Common Core proposal was passed and signed into law;
- A 5 year, fully-funded transportation bill, including Rep. Zeldin’s Safe Bridges Act, was passed and signed into law;
- Rep. Zeldin led the successful effort to establish a new veterans health care clinic in Manorville;
- The Zadroga Act was permanently re-authorized for our 9/11 first responders;
- The Medical Device Tax was stopped for 2 years;
- 2,000 cases were resolved in favor of NY-1 constituents.
“We are now in 2016, and it's time to pursue a new era of American strength, regaining the optimism that we can overcome the complex challenges facing our nation,” said Congressman Zeldin.
Congressman Zeldin’s “New Era of American Strength” Agenda Goals:
- Protecting America’s Security at Home and Abroad;
- Helping Grow Our Economy;
- Supporting Our Veterans and First Responders;
- Improving the Quality of Education;
- Repairing Our Nation’s Infrastructure;
- Improving Healthcare in America; and
- Safeguarding our Environment
Protecting America’s Security at Home and Abroad:
- Stopping foreign fighter travel by passing his Counterterrorism Screening and Assistance Act of 2015 (H.R. 4314);
- Working with House Judiciary and Homeland Security Committees to pass legislative solutions to strengthen U.S. border security and interior enforcement;
- Defeating ISIS and other terrorist threats, correcting a flawed Iran Nuclear Agreement and strengthening America’s relationships with our allies.
Helping Grow Our Economy:
- Advancing the Regulations from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny (REINS) Act (H.R. 427);
- Working with colleagues to draft a comprehensive legislative proposal to reform and simplify our tax code;
- Passing a Balanced Budget Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (H.J. Res. 55).
Supporting Our Veterans and First Responders:
- Expanding nationally the PFC Joseph Dwyer Veteran Peer Support Program (H.R. 4513, Sponsored by Rep. Zeldin);
- Passing other Rep. Zeldin bills to help veterans, including H.R. 2460, which would provide funding for adult day care for veterans; as well as ensuring his bills that previously passed the House are signed into law, including H.R. 1569 to protect the benefits of deceased veterans and H.R. 1187, which would eliminate the loan limit that the VA can guarantee for a veteran.
- Providing assistance for our police, fire and other first responders by passing H.R. 343, the Volunteer Emergency Responders Tax Deduction Act, and H.R. 2752, the Volunteer Responder Incentive Protection Act.
Improving the Quality of Education:
- Rolling back the excessive amount of federally-mandated testing in schools by passing the Student Testing Improvement and Accountability Act (H.R. 452), which Congressman Zeldin cosponsors;
- Advancing the investment in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) in our schools;
- Modernizing student loan debt financing by passing Rep. Zeldin’s Earnings Contingent Education Loans (ExCEL) Act of 2015 (H.R. 3695).
Repairing Our Nation’s Infrastructure:
- Breaking ground on new infrastructure improvement projects for our barrier beaches and waterways working with the Army Corps of Engineers;
- Funding improvements of Long Island overpasses and bridges that were made eligible as a result of Congressman Zeldin’s Safe Bridges Act (H.R. 3168);
- Upgrading infrastructure at Islip MacArthur Airport to help secure additional airline carriers and service.
Improving Healthcare in America:
- Continuing to advance the Restoring Americans’ Healthcare Freedom Reconciliation Act of 2015 (H.R. 3762), which would repeal and replace Obamacare; as well as continuing the call for a Department of Justice investigation into Health Republic of New York, the failed NYS health exchange co-op;
- Helping those coping with mental health issues and/or drug addiction to increase treatment and recovery services, educate, and stop the influx of illegal substances, which includes passing the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act of 2015 (H.R. 953), the Stop Overdose Stat (SOS) Act (H.R. 2850), and the Helping Families in Mental Crisis Act (H.R. 2646), all cosponsored by the Congressman; as well as funding research to deliver lifesaving or life improving cures and treatments, which includes getting the 21st Century Cures Act (H.R. 6), legislation that the Congressman cosponsors that passed the House, signed into law;
- Protecting people with disabilities by passing his bill, H.R. 3229, to secure the essential specialized power wheelchairs and related services relied on by people with disabilities and their families.
Safeguarding our Environment:
- Stopping the sale of Plum Island (H.R. 1887);
- Protecting the Long Island Sound by passing the Long Island Sound Restoration and Stewardship Act (H.R. 2930);
- Improving the management of our fisheries, by passing his EEZ Clarification Act (H.R. 3070) and Fluke Fairness Bill (H.R. 1888).
“I will continue doing everything in my power to bring home more victories for our congressional district to better our community, state and nation. There are a number of opportunities presented on any given day to move us forward in a positive direction and it’s such an honor to be leading this effort for the Fighting First in Congress,” concluded Congressman Zeldin.