Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Rep. Zeldin Statement in Support of VA Whistleblower Protection Executive Order

May 1, 2017
Press Release

Washington, DC – Rep. Lee Zeldin (R, NY-1) released a statement today in support of President Donald Trump’s recent Executive Order creating an “Office of Accountability and Whistleblower Protection at VA.”

This Executive Order will safeguard whistleblowers who report unacceptable practices or unlawful conduct by employees within the VA, while improving accountability within the Department. For years, there have been countless reports of objectionable behavior in several VA facilities. Additionally, barriers have prevented the agency from removing problematic employees and officials, resulting in poor treatment for many veterans. This office will work closely with Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin to identify these barriers, while advising him to investigate, and remove, if necessary, any employee or official within the Department who is underperforming or otherwise acting in a manner that warrants disciplinary action. Further measures will also be introduced to improve the VA, including a task force to conduct an internal review on the waste and fraud which have plagued the Department, which has been preventing the effective and efficient use of resources.

Congressman Zeldin said, “Establishing an Office of Accountability and Whistleblower Protection at the VA will help improve veterans’ health care at the VA facility in Northport and all facilities across the country, by increasing accountability within the VA system. With the creation of this new office, employees and patients will have a new outlet to address their concerns with any substandard care. This Executive Order will also help hold poor performing employees accountable. While I believe that 99% of VA employees genuinely care about the work they do and want to help veterans, we must ensure that the other 1% of those who are not acting in the best interest of veterans are held accountable. I support President Trump’s new Executive Order.”

Earlier this year, Congressman Zeldin voted for the VA Accountability First Act of 2017 (H.R. 1259), which passed the House on March 16, 2017.