Rep. Zeldin Submits Funding Request for Smith Point Bridge Replacement | Congressman Lee Zeldin

Rep. Zeldin Submits Funding Request for Smith Point Bridge Replacement

May 13, 2021
Press Release

WASHINGTON - Congressman Lee Zeldin (R, NY-1) recently submitted a Member Designated Project request to the House Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure, which asks that funding for the Bridge Replacement of CR 46 (William Floyd Parkway) over Narrow Bay be included in surface transportation reauthorization legislation.

The requested funding totals $7.2 million and the project is sponsored by Suffolk County.

The bipartisan Safe Bridges Act that Congressman Zeldin co-led and secured into law in December 2015 as part of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act made state and local overpasses and bridges once again eligible for federal funding through the National Highway Performance Program. This legislative fix brought tens of millions of dollars back to Suffolk County for desperately needed infrastructure repairs, including tens of millions in federal funding for Hospital Road Bridge and Smith Point Bridge.

In 2017, Rep. Zeldin helped secure funding to cover 80 percent of the Smith Point Bridge replacement project’s initial $75 million cost through the Transportation Improvement Program, with the remaining 20 percent being covered by Suffolk County. An additional $9 million is needed to complete the project, therefore, Rep. Zeldin has submitted a $7.2 million request to the Transportation & Infrastructure Committee. Suffolk County would supply the remaining $1.8 million.

“To accommodate and sustain long-term travel throughout the region, we must address Smith Point Bridge’s existing deficiencies and make real infrastructure improvements that enhance transportation safety and efficiency for Long Island residents and visitors,” said Congressman Zeldin.